Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Magnusson Oblique Pen Holder? Questions...

OakIris

Good morning. Thought about posting this in the first looks forum but decided those that frequent this forum would be most likely to have some information for me. (Moderators, please move the thread if First Looks would in fact be more appropriate.)

A friend of mine, who knows of my interest in fountain pens, casually handed me a dip pen he found at a local antique store last week; he said it cost a dollar. I was immediately taken with its looks and wanted to find more info about it or the company that made it. It is an oblique pen holder. I will take some photos of it later but it looks almost exactly like the pen holder shown in this FPN thread https://www.fountainpennetwork.net/forum/topic/95213-copperplate-with-a-fountain-pe/ , post #9:

https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/msacco/P1020068.jpg

The finial on my pen holder is slightly different - more cone-shaped - and the wood it is made of may be different, but otherwise it looks very similar, with the same number of ivory-coloured rings. For what it is worth, the "pen" or nib that it came with is an Esterbrook Freehand Pen 1000 and shows obvious signs of use; of course I have no way of knowing whether or not the nib was originally with the pen holder. The pen holder itself is in excellent shape with some small nicks and such that are also, presumably, signs of use.

I have no way of knowing if mine is authentic, but the bottom of the pen holder has Magnusson stamped into it. I have looked for info on Magnusson, haven't been able to find very much, though one site posted a 1928 advertisement for the company so the holder is vintage if authentic. I am hoping someone here can give me a bit more information.

Holly

Edited by OakIris

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smk

• OakIris

• Rednaxela

• Mikeylikes

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Magnusson holders are quite collectible and some have been sold for ridiculous prices. The flanges on these were made of nickel silver (not Brass).

This one looks authentic one to me but I would like to see a closer picture of the Magnusson stamp and the flange.

It is a lovely holder and more than a steal for what your friend paid for it.

Salman

Thank you for that info, Salman. When did the company produce pen holders? For collectible items, I seem to be unable to find a source of detailed information about them. (Heaven forbid that I would need to go to a library for information. :D )

I am going to take some photos of my pen holder; my photo skills are little and my "tools" are limited to what my smartphone can produce, so we will see if I can get a picture of the stamp that is better than a blur...

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Here are some photos of the pen holder my friend gave to me:

10/25/2017: Edit - :-( Due to the apparently NOT free hosting site I used for my photos, all of the photos I posted ended up showing a message from FotoTime that a subscription was required to share photos on forums, as Salman noted in the following post. :gaah: I will try again with a different hosting site. Sorry.

That page you linked, Salman, was where I saw the 1928 advertisement I mentioned previously. The company imprint they show on that page looks very similar to the one on mine...I think I may have the real thing. What do you think?

Holly

Edited by OakIris

I cannot view the images - it shows a placeholder saying a subscription is required to use your photos on 3rd party sites.

BTW you can upload images right here on FPN using the 'Upload' tab at the top of the page.

- Salman

I just saw that and have edited my post accordingly. :( When I first posted the photos, all of them showed up just as they should, and the photos were still there when I checked a few hours later. Sigh. I have had a heck of a time finding a good hosting site since Google got rid of Picasa Web Albums. That still bums me out, lol.

Back to the drawing board...

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Hoping my second attempt to post these photos works! Here we go;not the best photos but hopefully good enough to see some of the details:

37216802964_d2a76f2c46_c.jpg

26150767819_33b0a5f17f_c.jpg

37216786174_f8d84aa375_c.jpg

37873363026_74543bea11_c.jpg

37873359536_df69a74127_c.jpg

26150776199_1c52ae3e83_c.jpg

37895458502_7134e2b1ba_c.jpg

26150764169_d563a41c72_c.jpg

Please let me know what you think - if the photos stick this time... :unsure:

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Very cool, Salman! You are welcome to stop by here to try it out, but I am afraid the pen doesn't have papers to enable it to stay in Canada for a few years. :D

Any idea what the pen holder might be worth? I have no intentions of selling it, it is a keeper and I plan to use it when I get up the courage, but perhaps I should at least bake my friend a cake in thanks...

Holly

Some of these have gone for ridiculous prices as the one in the link Alexander shared.

I would expect this one to bring in a good sum as it is a 5-liner in pretty good shape. For a while these were selling in the 200-300$ range. Then there was a spike to 700-800$ and a couple of really high auction sales like the one above. I am not sure how the market stands presently.

Your friend deserves at least a cake and a pumpkin pie :-)

- Salman

What a great find OakIris!

You might like this FB post.

Too bad the photo was gone; sounds quite lovely, though I have no idea what "tumed" means. Still...$2550!! Yikes - some folks must have gotten caught up in a bidding war; jumped from $600 to $2500 in one leap...

I let my friend know he had given me a very choice pen holder indeed; he actually found it at a local estate sale. Sure wish I had seen what other pen holders/fountain pens/paraphernalia that might have been there, but astonishing that he noticed this one - he is not a pen person.

Some of these have gone for ridiculous prices as the one in the link Alexander shared.

I would expect this one to bring in a good sum as it is a 5-liner in pretty good shape. For a while these were selling in the 200-300$ range. Then there was a spike to 700-800$ and a couple of really high auction sales like the one above. I am not sure how the market stands presently.

Your friend deserves at least a cake and a pumpkin pie :-)

- Salman

$200 is much more than I expected, let alone hundreds of dollars more. My friend definitely deserves a cake, a pie, and a six pack of choice craft IPA. :P

I have at least 8 pen holders by now, including a lovely silver dip pen that came from my father's family and some Victorian/early 1900's pen holders from England, and haven't used one of them as yet. I know my lousy writing will not do them justice, but now I have had this one fall into my lap, apparently an authentic Magnusson. Obviously the pen goddess is trying to tell me something! lol Anyway, I am now going to try out my various pen holders; it is past time to experience this part of the pen world. No one but me needs to see the results, after all. B)

Holly

Edited by OakIris

• 4 years later...