Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Shaeffer Surprise

awarrenj

Okay, one on me. A friend gave me a snorkel from a garage sale and I didn't think anything about it but took it to the Chicago Pen Show, had a repair person take it, repair it, and when sent back I tried it. I didn't ink it but dipped it and wow, what a smooth writer. I had always considered Shaeffer to be an OK American pen manufacturer but not great but this pen writes as smooth as any in my collection. Apologies to Shaeffer collectors who already knew this. We learn everyday!!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jchch1950

• inkstainedruth

• Teterman2005

• awarrenj

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful, or you’ll start diving down the Sheaffer rabbit hole!! 😜

my first was a 1950’s “feathertouch” and like you I was really surprised at just how smooth the nib was…can’t beat a classic workhorse pen with a 14k nib!!

Yeah, I really like my Snorkels.  I've gotten a couple at antiques shops for really good prices (not any of the top of the line models, but the fill system is the same).  
I blame it on someone who posted a link a few years ago for an old TV ad for the PFM: "Buy your husband a PFM for Christmas -- you know he wants one!"  The ad was 50s sexist garbage on the whole, but it did show the fill system and I was like "Oh that's really cool!" and then found a Snorkel in a local antiques shop during a sale where everything was 20% off.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sheaffer pens are good writers.Some of them have complex filling systems that make them hard to repair, Now that the brand is own by Cross maybe they will be more new designs, like the new Icon.at an affordable price .Some of the"vintage" pens have smooth and very precise nibs,